Friday, September 11, 2009

Vught

June

"Get your things togehter! get ready to evacuate! Collect all possesions in pillowcases!" The guards shouted up and down the long corridors. We are leaving prison! The counter-invasion must have begun! Surely the invasion of Holland had begun. Where would we be taken? Not Germany! Oh Jesus, not Germany.
At last the gates opened and there was a train waiting for us. There were so many woman! There was no way we could all fit in there. I found Betsie...I finally saw her after 4 months. I was so happy to see my dear sister. We boarded the train and were squished together. There were so many woman that we had to sit on the floor and go up from there on top of eachother. With so many woman we had to take turns breathing because it was so crowded and the air was very limited. We were headed to Germany.

We later learned that we were in Vught, a concentration camp named after a near by town in Germany. Here we had to do jobs. I was luckily sent to making radios. It was similar to making watches but not the same. At first I was making the radios on how they were supposed to be made, but then the head manager at my station encouraged me to mess up the radios so the Germans would somehow fail to communicate through the radios. It was a good idea and that is what I kept doing throughout my stay at Vught

No comments:

Post a Comment