Monday, September 14, 2009

Ravensbruck-Freedom

Ravensbruck was the worst of all of the camps.We had to take role call every morning around 4 or 5 in the morning. This was the worst in the winter mornings. We had to march in place to keep the blood flowing through our veins. Betsie was so kind and couragous. Oh, she would have a reading to all of the woman and help them learn about our Lord, Jesus Christ. Betsie was always thankful for everything that she had. She felt sorry for the Nazis instead of the people they were hurting. It was just amazing how much Betsie cared so much. She told me to give thanks for everything...even the flees and lice that we had in our bunkers. Four to five woman had to sleep together in one small bunk...all sharing there lice and flees. The work was harder at Ravensbruck. We had to do physical labor. This was hard for Betsie because she was a weak woman and couldn't do much. Oh how I hate the head Nazi at our camp. We called her the snake.



We were fortunate enough to have a little bottle of vitamins. This was to keep Betsie and I healthy. Betsie had become very sick and she needed all of the vitamins possible. But, of course, Betsie wanted to share with the other women and keep them healthy also. Everyday I would give each of them vitamins thinking that that would be the end of them, but everyday there was just enough for all that needed them.

Betie got so sick that she had to go to the hospital. I visited her once but then the second time she wasn't there. I looked for her around the camp. I finally saw her. She was in the stack of dead bodies. My best friend in the world was dead. Betsie had once said that her and I would be free before the new year and she was free. I was freed on December 28th. I went to fulfill what Betsie would have wanted me to do.

I later found out that Willem and Father had died. I was finally free and it was because of a clinical error. They thought I had a disease in my ankles... but I didn't. A week after I was released all of the people in my barraks had died. They were burned alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment