Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Sick

February 28,1944
I woke up this morning with a terrible fever and I didn't want to get out of my bed. But, of course, I had to go downstairs and do my job. I came down for a couple of minutes but Betsie told me that everything was being taken care of and that I could go back to bed. As I went back upstairs I noticed that Father was reading in the church group which normally consists of Willem, Nollie, and the rest of the family. I would not be able to attend today.

I had a terrible dream while I was asleep. It was a buzzer rining and feet were running and voices whispering, "Hurry! Hurry".
It wasn't a dream I sat up and people were running past my bed. I turned just in time to see Thea's heels disappear through the low door with Meta and Henk behind her. I hadn't planned a drill for today! Maybe it wasn't a drill...

I heard Mary's raspy breathing and prayed that it would stop in time for the men to come up and look for them. She had to be silent! I threw a bag in front of the cabinet to cover it up more. This was the bag that I had prepared for incase I ever went to prisin. It contained my bible, soap, sewing equipment and regular toiletries.The Nazis came in just as I did this and I hoped that I looked sleepy to them...not afraid.
Instead he asked me for my name and then told the others that there were more people. We were being arrested. Pickwick (A friend that had helped us be a part of the underground) had also been arrested . Everyone that I loved was now being taken to the prison! Even Father!
One of the Nazis asked why they had taken an old man (Father). He told father that he would be able to stay and die in his own bed if he would not cause any more trouble. Father said this, "If I go home today, tomorrow I will open my door again to any man in need who knocks".

No comments:

Post a Comment