Friday, August 28, 2009

Willem

Willem hid Jews and had them sent to safer places in the country. People showed up at the Beje more often now to see if they could stay with us. I would always tell them that it was too dangerous because we were only three blocks away from the police headquarters, but I had no other place to suggest. It got crowded very fast, so I had to pay my brother Willem another visit.
Willem wanted me to give the Jews ration cards! Jews don't get ration cards! I couldn't beleive my ears! Willem was asking me to forge them...or at least steal some! Oh Willem. I was told that I had to find my own sources because he was a watched man and he would get caught. That was the last thing I wanted- another family member in prison. So I had to find my sources..but who?! Then the name Fred Koornstra came to my mind. He was the man who used to read the electric meter at the Beje; he also had a retarded daughter who attended the "church" that I had been conducting for the feeble-minded for a while now. Fred had a new job working in the Food Office-where the ration books were issued.
Oh my friends, I must go now to my friend Fred Koornstra! I will be back with another post sometime soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment