Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Karel

Karel and I met at one of my mother's parties. I can't remember now if the party was a birthday, anniversary, or a new baby. I was only 14 years of age while Karel was the were already among the university men, sprouting scruffy beards and smoking out cigar smoke with their conversation. Nollie was always the one that got all the boys' attention but she didn't seem to notice.

After that day I waited two years to see him again. It was in the winter of 1908 when Nollie and I went to visit Willem at his university. Of course, I knew, Karel was going to be with him. Willem introduced Nollie and me around in his groups of friends. When he got to Karel, Karel interrupted and said, "We know each other already. Do you remember? We met at a party at your home". Later that day he showed great interest in me, which truly suprised me because I was not as pretty as Nollie nor had I ever spoken to him before (exept at the party).

One day Karel showed up at my door and said, " It's a lovely day in the country, Corrie! Come walking!" From then on it seemed taken for granted that Karel and I would go walking every day. I kept hoping that this relationship with Karel would be serious, but I asked Willem about it and he said that Karel's family has known what they have wanted for a long time, and that that it wasn't me.

No comments:

Post a Comment